Guide To Troubleshoot Canon Scanner Not Working Problem
Guide To Troubleshoot Canon Scanner Not Working Problem
Canon is one of the leading and trustworthy brands in the line of scanners. It offers high-performance scanners including a wide range of features such as Duplex Scanning, Auto Color Detection, Skip Blank Page, Shadow Cropping, Auto Resolution Setting, and a lot more. But sometimes, users face issues while scanning a document due to some technical glitches. In this guide, you will find advanced techniques and troubleshooting ways to resolve all the possible issues that can occur while using a scanner.
General Issues That May Obstruct the Scanning Process
- Power and USB Cables are not properly connected.
- The Drivers you are using to command the scanner is corrupted or outdated.
- The glass of your Canon scanner is not clean or broken.
- Wrong Scan Settings are selected.
- Scanner software is incompatible with your particular Canon scanner model.
- The scanner is not working due to Windows corrupted files.
- Feeder Jam issue in the multipurpose scanner.
Applicable and Useful Methods To Resolve Scanner Issues
Here are some of the troubleshooting methods by which you can resolve the Canon scanner issues. Follow the below-mentioned ways cautiously.
1. Inspect the Connected Cables
Your Canon scanner will not respond if the cables are faulty/damaged or not appropriately connected.
- Power Cable: In the very first place, check the power cable that is supplied with your scanner and make sure it is properly inserted into the correct port. If the cable is not in good condition or damaged from any of the sides, there will be power supply interruptions and the scanner will not work properly. Also, you must ensure that the electrical outlet to which your scanner is connected is working. Otherwise, plug the power cord into a different wall socket.
- USB Cable: Your Canon scanner will not communicate with your computer if the USB cable is not properly connected. First of all, make sure that you are using the original USB cable provided by your service provider. As any other non-branded cable may not work with your scanner and hence results in scanning issues. If the USB cable is in perfect condition but the connection fails to establish among both the devices, it may be possible that the USB port of your computer is not working, so try another USB port. If the issue does not resolve and you are still facing the issue, perform the next method.
2. Clean the Scanner Glass to Eliminate Common Issues
If the scanner glass contains dirt, your scanner will not be able to detect the document placed on the glass. So, to clean the Canon scanner glass, firstly unplug the power cord of your scanner to turn it off. Then, open the upper unit of your scanner. Now, take a clean and lint-free cloth and wipe off all the dust present on the scanner glass. While cleaning the cloth, make sure that you apply gentle pressure otherwise the glass may get broken. After cleaning, close the upper unit of your scanner and turn it on by attaching the power cable. Now, place a document on the glass and try to scan it. If the issue still persists, carry out the next method.
3. Uninstall the Outdated IJ Scan Utility Software and Install the Latest Version
IJ Scan Utility is a software that helps in building a connection between your computer and scanner and lets you scan your desired photos or documents. But if the software gets corrupted or outdated, the connection will not be established and the scanner will not respond while you attempt to scan a document. So, firstly uninstall the driver from the control panel. In accordance with that, go to Control Panel > Programs & Features > Uninstall a Program. Select the scanning software, right-click on it, and click Uninstall. Now, to reinstall the updated version of the software, pursue the below-mentioned steps.
- Go to the Canon Official website by inserting the URL canon.com/ijsetup in the address bar.
- Provide Scanner Model name in the search bar and then select the “Drivers & Downloads” tab. The IJ Scan Utility software installed with the Driver Package only.
- Click Download and then run the setup file for installation.
- Now, connect your Canon scanner with the computer. Then, you will see a list of drivers and other additional softwares.
- Tick the checkbox of IJ Scan Utility and then click Install. Now, launch the software and use it to scan a document.
4. Repair or Delete the Corrupted System Files
If there are any corrupted files on your system, it may create hindrance while scanning a document. In such cases, you should repair the corrupted files using the Command Prompt. Hence, to resolve all the Canon scanner issues and to repair/delete the corrupted files, follow the given instructions.
- In the first place, press the Windows button on your keyboard
- Type cmd and you will view a “Command Prompt” option. Right-click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
- Doing so, a pop-up box of User Account Control will get displayed on your screen. To proceed forward, click Yes.
- Now, the Command Prompt dialog box will open up on your screen. Type “sfc/scannow” command and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- This will start scanning your computer and may take a few minutes. Once the processing is done, all the corrupted files will get displayed on your screen that is interrupting the scanning process.
- Remove the files from your computer or repair it if possible. Now, develop a connection among your computer and scanner and then try to scan a document.